Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Player Run Economy?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you feel a 'mostly' player run economy is good or bad?
Very Good
 20%  [ 8 ]
Good
 35%  [ 14 ]
Neutral
 35%  [ 14 ]
Bad
 7%  [ 3 ]
Very Bad
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 39

Kalorian
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Player Run Economy? Reply with quote

Thank you for your input.
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really tell for sure, there for I voted Neutral. In some cases I'd prefer it to be player run and some cases I do not. Imagine some random newbie screaming out he sells some worthless item for 1 gold piece except for 10 bronze pieces. Someone eventually tells others and then the story goes beyond every player and makes the market prices higher (inflation).

At other times the player run economy has great benefits, so I can't really add on this subject...

Remembered as Just Anubite, Blue of the Gifted

Brother of Justice..

AKA Symbiont..
Stant
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Middle vote here. I'd like to see a player controlled market, but not one that is fully run by players. The NPC's should do most of the market, and let the players control the variations in price by flooding or drying out the market.
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
Pre
Posts until end: 600

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for good. If theres some nps that can buy/sell items than the prices of items wouldnt raise dramatically. But if someone was really desperate for an item and the npc didnt have it, then a player economy would work.
Enquillion
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, I just thought of a neat economy concept too, which should work well with it. Stay tuned! ^^
Demonslayer7
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stant wrote:
Middle vote here. I'd like to see a player controlled market, but not one that is fully run by players. The NPC's should do most of the market, and let the players control the variations in price by flooding or drying out the market.
I concur as well.
Tyrael
Posts until end: 980

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the only one who has voted bad so far.... so I might as well justify my position.

From a programmers point of view, it's.... not good. For one, the players are not trustworthy to keep the economy running smoothy.... and hence some sort of pre-programmed reset or a manual reset by the programmers needs to exist. Fun...
And then of course is the issue of balances and checks that would be extra hard to program. Why? Well, in my experience anytime you add a random element the programming goes from super easy to hell in a handbasket. Or at least it gets substantially harder. Here... it depends on completely random and non-patterned input from people with whims, moods, and cycles. I shudder to think of the logistical nightmare it could be.

And of course, the players perspective. The question to ask here is how exactly is the economy going to be player-controlled? The only system I can imagine of course, is that, other than a few basic items the availibility(and therefore the price) of most items is determined entirely by the player. So... if no one has brought an iron sword in for a while.... no iron swords. I foresee much complaining. Anyways, this is a system I see leading into one simple direction. Mundane skills. Like mining, smithing, sheep-shearing, and what-not. Due to my experience with games such as Runescape(and experience that will scar me for a long time to come *shudder*) I really am not a fan of mundane skills.
And of course there is the frustration that occurs when one searches for an item that is hard to obtain. Frankly, you cannot depend on players to keep a steady supply of any resource and so anything that is even remotely rare.... will almost never be sold in stores. And so, a fighter, who might not have bothered with dumb smithing skills in the first place, realizes to get that really nice item item he wants he is going to have do the mining and smithing and crap like that himself. Have I mentioned I don't like mundane skills?
You see, otherwise he has to wait aorund at the store for somthing that just won't appear or... beg for someone to sell it to him. All three options are painful and result in one thing, an extreme amount of frustration because in each your quest for the item gets you absolutely nowhere fast. You aren't actually accomplishing anything. And that always sucks.
Dormeydo
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted good
I think that players can supply each other pretty good. If there are many player who want's a specific item that's pretty rare other players(higher level players) will hunt for that weapon and sell it to anyone who wants it. If many people want a specific item the pirze will be pretty high and high prizes makes people get that weapon and sell it. That's how it works in a player run economy and i think that's good. Ofcourse there got to be NPC shops too
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Kalorian
Developer

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Tyrael - Good post.

Few counters real quick. I've talked to Eponick in depth about this type of system and he has said no problem. Our program team can handle challenges like these so no worries there.

About Mundane Skills I agree. I don't think I would implement sheep-shearing etc.. sa well or even suggest it being added in. Have you ever thought about changing pointless loot on different 'types' of creatures to loot that would complete quests like these?

There is more than one way to accomplish this goal and giving younger players more things to do than hack and slash will convince players from day 1 and on that this game is unique and has a lot to offer if it offers 'this' much to the new players.

This would also give the ability for players to 'blockade' a city or a 'faction' to declare a city an enemy of it. Remember a lot of the things in Daria are going to be faction based and keeping cities out of supply and forcing prices higher in enemy cities is a good way to ruin the city economically and cause other adverse effects (possible GM monitored/triggered) to the world.
Posts until end: 960

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question still remains, how is the economy going to be run by players?

A completely player controlled economy would result in mass frustration. The economy needs at least SOME npcs to sell stuff, otherwise you would have to rely on the theory that there will be an equal number of each stream of player to support the population. As soon as Daria starts all us people from Akarra will jump and play it to death and we'll eagerly advance in levels, enjoying the many quests and new features ect... Some will advance quicker than others but we'll all be pretty high within two months. Who's going to be sitting around the lowbie places to help the newbs once we all move on? What sort of prices will all the Akarra keeners have to pay for there weapons? (as they all scramble over each other in mad dash to get the next bigger weapon) This is the first strain.

As Tyrael said, you can not expect the player population to keep a steady supply of any resource. A completely player run economy would be prone to collapse into instability and anarchy, which may or may not be what you're going for.

I don't know what your plans are but for stability's sake I think we need NPCs to sell basic items that would normally be sold in the area. So a store in a town that is surrounded by bronze armour dropping monsters should systematically stock itself with bronze armour. Unless of course you really want a totally player controled economy so as to make it super hard for anyone who isn't following (or can't keep up with) the mainstream of society.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: