Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I have seen the new website...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lorsaelos
Posts until end: 750

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject: I have seen the new website... Reply with quote

... and it rocks.

BTW, the URL is really -too- easy to guess. Might want to either password protect the directory or make the name unguessable.

I'll try to critique without giving away what it looks like:
  1. I love the top art, but it's very top-heavy without something else (like a new DOD logo or text) up there to make the space use more efficient.

2. The green pattern is too noticeable, at the least it should flow more smoothly so you don't notice it as much. It looks good, but the "bad thing" is that it flows horizontally, while the rest of the design/images on the site flow vertically.

3. The images next to each of the links on the sidebar should either be of more general usage category of object, or use a different type of object for each link in this object's usage category. In any case, put more space (just one would do) between this image used for bullets and the links.

4. The words "menu" looks out of place next to the DOD logo, and also bland. The heading "Latest News" looks like it is lacking style (bland) and blends into the links below it too much.

5. The two different color blue patterns don't blend into each other well. I can notice the edge where they both stop. This is especially noticeable where the large tan image is below the menu/navigation bar, on the left side of the image.

6. Speaking of the image below the navbar menu, part of it is noticeably chopped down its right side.

7. The old DOD logo background image doesn't fit the design. Try for a new logo, and/or in the meantime just use the text part of the logo.

8. Ditch the scrollbar coloring CSS (which is viewable in MSIE.) It doesn't match anything, and it doesn't even look good. Let the visitors' operating system theme the scrollbars.

9. Add a little extra space to the bottom of the design so it doesn't just "stop" when you reach the bottom. Makes it feel roomier.
Overall, I think it's really great what you've done with the design, and the graphic art is just pixel-perfect--save for the few details I mentioned above.

I have 20/15 eyesight and a 19" flat-CRT monitor running in 1280x960 at 85Hz. Using Firefox 1.0.3 on Windows XP. Also tested in MSIE6. I am picky on details, and also unofficially cool for possibly being the first non-dev and non-friend-of-dev to see this. :P

Edit:
Added one more point.
Enquillion
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without posting any critique, I have to agree that the URL was too easily guessed, though I wouldn't have tried if not for that being said.

Or, more bluntly:

Quote:
[08:24:15] <Enquillion> LOL
[08:24:19] <Enquillion> no kidding Lorsaelos
[08:24:24] <Enquillion> about the URL being easy to guess
[08:24:28] <Enquillion> first try XD

maestro
Posts until end: 960

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I also only needed one try, couldn't stop myself from trying when something like that was written...
thewreck
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it was www.dawnofdaria.com/test it has been changed

however,

the word test implies that it is indeed a test, and not ready for the public, thus we do not want any critique just yet because we know that if we made it public we would get lots and lots of suggestions on things we already know, and on an already unfinished homepage.

so excuse me if i do not comment on your critique
Dormeydo
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, you're the haxx0r Lorsaelos! Laughing

Too bad i didn't had the chanse to see it for myself
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Kalorian
Developer

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On another note Lors, the layout you stumbled across was the first version. We have worked on a few other varients as well.
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was it? I really want to see it. Please tell me the URL.
Posts until end: 800

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malaro wrote:
What was it? I really want to see it. Please tell me the URL.

They changed the URL.

The artist formally known as BlueHyren.
Lorsaelos
Posts until end: 750

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalorian wrote:
On another note Lors, the layout you stumbled across was the first version. We have worked on a few other varients as well.

Ah, good. Because the first version was far from perfect. :P I didn't want to make a super-long post about stuff that I'd have to mention the parts of the website to critique. After talking with Enquillion a bit, I also realized more parts of the site that weren't so good as well.

The graphic art still rocks, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Gossip All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: