Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Death penalties - R
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud
Posts until end: 980

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enquillion wrote:

But the PvE implication... I still find it too weak. Reasons up there.

Assuming that when you say PvE, you really mean PvM. I have a suggestion although I don't really like it very much. It would be better then sitting out for hours though.

Everytime you get killed by a spawn of monsters. The next time you go back and fight those monsters you get an experience penalty of like 1%. For example.

Theres a spawn of 4 spiders. I die and come back to the spawn. I would only get 99% of the XP I was getting from the spawn before I died. I die again and come back. Now I am only getting 98% of the XP I was getting the first time I fought this spawn. I die again and come back. Well im sure you get the picture. This would have to cap off at 50% or atleast 25%.

The Semi-finite lives system might be a good system if you had 2 choices when creating your char.

1. PvP - Semi-finite lives
2. Non- PvP - Infinte lives

I am not talking about 2 seprate servers. I am talking about 2 different type's of chars. One that can be involved in all type's of PvP action and one that cannot be involved in any.

You already said if you got rid of all the reasons you wanted to kill someone there really wouldn't be a need for it.
Stant
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud wrote:
2. Non- PvP - Infinte lives

I am not talking about 2 seprate servers. I am talking about 2 different type's of chars. One that can be involved in all type's of PvP action and one that cannot be involved in any.

Welcome to below level 15 spammers in Akarra. You can't kill me so I'm gonna blah blah blah blah by you all day long 'cause I know it pisses you off... =/ There better be a good ignore in this game that actually fully ignores someone...
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
Enquillion
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PvE, PvM... none is fully consequent if you wanna break it down to that, not everything you kill is evil... but not everyone you kill is a monster, either.

And that penalty is really insignificant, even if you raised the % - 'course at like 25% it might be more effective, but... what if you're just after the loot? I had actually played with the thought of finite lives for PvP only, but I do really find the system quite effective for PvE as well.

We can keep it to a PvE discussion if you like. I don't have a problem with your PvP system, as it meets the main requirement of death being pointful and not just a trip back to the obelisk before you rejoin the fray. Maybe it's not so effective if one faction has nothing to defend though, 'cause once they die enough to lose the PvP ability, you can't even kill them as they are out killing monsters. This is probably good, I suppose...

Stant, let me ("once again") use WoW as an example. Ever since I started playing it, only one player has even made me use the ignore button. And hey, it works like a charm. I've also not had other reasons to go haywire on people. It's not possible to killsteal, though this promotes some non-helpful behavior of "bah, let the monster kill you, I won't get exp for helping", but this is a small problem. And besides, I charge tapped monsters with my warrior just to gain rage. ^^

I believe that a lot can be learned from Blizzard as for making PvP something you do for sport rather than... necessity.
Bud
Posts until end: 980

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think having a full ignore is a must. No system would work good without it.

As for the PvE system. You kill monsters for XP, loot and money. So I think when you die thats what you should lose.
Pre
Posts until end: 600

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud wrote:
I think having a full ignore is a must. No system would work good without it.

As for the PvE system. You kill monsters for XP, loot and money. So I think when you die thats what you should lose.

Thats what I think instead of not being able to play your character. But for the people who want death to be more serious, a lot of xp can be taken away, or you can just go down one lvl.
Stant
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enquillion wrote:
If I'm Bush, you're the Pope. The best part about that is that we won't get to see each other. ^^

Enq, hopefully you still read up on the forums frequently. While harvesting ideas, I came across this comment and laughed the hardest I've laughed in a while. 5 weeks after this post, bud is gone. 3 weeks later, the pope is gone.... Yet, you and Bush remain. XD No disrespect to the pope, I was raised Catholic, but it was just damned funny to see that.
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
Enquillion
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woot. I'm gonna sign up for some prophet position in the dev team now.

Though, I was hoping that the discussion had sparked anew here.

Anyway, uh...

/me giggles :P
Trance
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I placed my reply in a seperate topic because I'm just writing my own philosophies on things Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: