Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

npc traders

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sum Ting Wong
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: npc traders Reply with quote

ok, enq kinda hit on this in sieges, but i thought i'd expand it a little.

some kind of npc trader system is set up.

the npc convoys, depending on the cargo, would have different kind of guards, and would travel on roads b/t towns carrying different goods, such as iron, leather, gems, gold, stuff like that. once it got to a certain part of the town, it would sell the stuff off to the npc services(stables, blacksmith, taverns, shipyards, whatever other services there would need). This could affect the prices of the items, for instance, in Town A there is a nearby iron mine, so weapons are fairly cheap there. in Town B, they have no accesible source of iron, causing their weapons prices to be higher. town a sends town b a shipment of iron, but town b's shipment is intercepted by darklings/goblins/whatever the darian equivilant to darklings and goblins are, and they lose the shipment. so the head honcho of town b npc assigns a quest to kill of the goblins messing with town b's economy, and it gets fixed, so that players who like to hang out at town b for the hunting can get less expensive items.

this could relate to the sieges by intercepting the towns ale shipments , causing moral to go down and the town's npc points to go down, or in guild warfare by making the other guys miserable.

im just kinda tossing this idea in, but it would make daria more of a 'live world'. maybe also add npcs to do the normal daily tasks(how do we all survive if everyone is a warrior/rogue/wizard/cleric? where does the food come from?)

have a quest to save farmer brown so that he can continue to grow food so some could be sold to the nearby town and the current town can continue to grow.

Still around the corner they may wait,
A new road or a secret gate;
And though I oft have passed them by,
A day will come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the Moon, East of the Sun
Demonslayer7
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's a good and bad idea.

The concept is highly realistic but if you can't interact with the shippers, and convoys why even show them? You could just have the actual price changes in the shop instead of going through all the trouble of making 50 new sprites you won't need.
Stant
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: npc traders Reply with quote

Sum Ting Wong wrote:
this could relate to the sieges by intercepting the towns ale shipments , causing moral to go down and the town's npc points to go down, or in guild warfare by making the other guys miserable.

In the town's tavern:
Bartender: "Guys, we're almost out of ale."
Guy1: "Really? That sucks."
Guy2: "Have our women always looked this ugly?"
Guy1: "I don't know, I've always been drunk."
Guy3: "Me too."
Bartender: "Same."
Guy3: "What should we do?"
Guy2: "Go outside the gates and let them kill us..."
Guy1: "Yeah, I think I slept with that wildebeast last night."
Bartender: "That's rough bro. I'd give you a drink but we're nearly out."
Guy2: "Well fellas, I'm getting the hell out of here."
Bartender, Guy1, and Guy3: "Right behind ya."

Town gate:
Guy2: "Take the town, it's yours."
Seigers: "Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!"
Guy3: "Poor bastards. Look what they're stuck with..."
Bartender: "Hey they left some ale out here."
Guy1: "Pour me a pint my good man."
Bartender: "Welcome to my new bar guys."
Guy1, Guy2, and Guy3: "Woohoo!"

=D

Like what was said just before me, why bother showing the caravans if you can't really interact with them. In the sieging thread I stated the gates would be closed for the seige. It's easy enough to figure out that a blockade and closed gates, nothing is going in or out. Supplies would be used up, and should the turns last long enough, eventually the town will fall.
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
Sum Ting Wong
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was kinda meaning you could kill the convoys to make the town less desierable, or to limit supplies prior to a siege so it goes faster.

Still around the corner they may wait,
A new road or a secret gate;
And though I oft have passed them by,
A day will come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the Moon, East of the Sun
Stant
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, but you didn't say that. I'm all for random NPC killings. >=]
This change isn't because of Kal's request to change it, it's to tell the community that I'm pissed at him because he fucked me over by not sticking up for me when he should have, instead he blasted me. I have no problem with Daria or any of it's other staff. It was changed in response to his lies about fixing it, which he did NOT do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: