Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Examine/discription
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maestro
Posts until end: 960

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archosseus wrote:
The boss monster could drop his information book giving the opportunity for the player to sell it off high (since its rare) in the market... =D

Why would a boss monster write a book about himself?

"Hmm yes I'm 2.53 cm long, the best weapon to use if you are going to kill me is a steel sword..."

I can't really see the point. And what would players write about the monsters? best way to kill it etc.? Well that kind of stuff usually spreads anyway. And if there are books with information, then someone just need to buy a book and then pass the information along to his companions. Of course you could make it non-tradeable but that is quite unrealistic. "Yeah I have a book, but you can't read it".

I kind of like the idea of having a public library with some basic (newbie) information though.

In my opinion it's better if quests and NPCs provide hints and tips on different boss monsters, and by that integrate it more into the story.
Archosseus
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maestro wrote:
Why would a boss monster write a book about himself?
Ever thought about this: As an adventurer would be observing the boss monster, he grabs his quill and ink to write about it. Unnoticed though the monster approaches and kills him.. And so the monster keeps the book. Rolling Eyes

maestro wrote:
I can't really see the point. And what would players write about the monsters? best way to kill it etc.?

Nature, appearance, weaknesses, attack power, defense, speed, alone in room, place of appearance, lightened room?

maestro wrote:
And if there are books with information, then someone just need to buy a book and then pass the information along to his companions.

True, but wouldn't it be handier to see it in his discription then just believe your companions? Ever considered they could fool you and you think you face something weak while its 2 times stronger then you? Would companions say the nature of the creature? Wouldn't it be better to have a background about the creature may you ever face it then just bluntly approaching it, while unaware of what to expect?

[/quote]

Remembered as Just Anubite, Blue of the Gifted

Brother of Justice..

AKA Symbiont..
Lorsaelos
Posts until end: 750

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archosseus wrote:
maestro wrote:
And if there are books with information, then someone just need to buy a book and then pass the information along to his companions.

True, but wouldn't it be handier to see it in his discription then just believe your companions? Ever considered they could fool you and you think you face something weak while its 2 times stronger then you? Would companions say the nature of the creature? Wouldn't it be better to have a background about the creature may you ever face it then just bluntly approaching it, while unaware of what to expect?

One shouldn't believe everything one reads, either.
Saven
Posts until end: 980

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote:

However, I like maps being seperate and automatic, especially in a big world like Akarra.

It would be a pain to explore without a map you have from the start, but what I was thinking is that the map in akarra wasn't very specific, and I'm assuming daria will follow suit. So what if the map in the book was more detailed? It would have special markers for where points of interest are and such, and after you read the book, the markers will appear on the world map.
Thanquol
Posts until end: 800

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the ideas of these public libraries but despise the idea of being able to buy or get hold of the books. Kepp them in a library where, if you can be bothered to improve your chances of survival, you can go in and read them all for free but not be able to take them out.
Archosseus
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorsaelos wrote:

They surely should at least for books that contain information. Like i said adminstrators (or more trusted volunteers) check the books in order to make sure inappropiate information isn't present..

Though if you mean stories, tales or such you are right.

Thanquol wrote:
I love the ideas of these public libraries but despise the idea of being able to buy or get hold of the books. Kepp them in a library where, if you can be bothered to improve your chances of survival, you can go in and read them all for free but not be able to take them out.

Aye, your more then right actually I think. Though perhaps only a small donation to the public library when you enter or leave..
But the more 'rare' books should have a donation too, if they reveal something important or such.

How you could view those books shouldn't be to hard I reckon.
Perhaps each bookshelf with its own list of what its sorted on (species, level etc.). The bookshelf has its own inventory which the books are stored in (some unlimited, some a few?).
Also if its only a book of 1 or 2 papers you could rather change it into a 'scroll' rather then getting a whole book for only 2 pages.
After say, 10 pages it changes into a book.
If the Player's story is a paper it could just be borrowed inside the library to read or bought for the player to keep in his own inventory whereever he goes and if its a book it must be kept in the library.
You could have a seperate inventory just for papers, like a special bag to avoid the papers being harmed or something and avoid someone getting it when they PK you, hehe.

Saven wrote:
It would be a pain to explore without a map you have from the start, but what I was thinking is that the map in akarra wasn't very specific, and I'm assuming daria will follow suit. So what if the map in the book was more detailed? It would have special markers for where points of interest are and such, and after you read the book, the markers will appear on the world map.

Not a bad idea, though the map has to be drawed then. Its a bit strange reading a book that has a digital like map. It doesn't have to be a book either, just a scroll of paper. Wich you should buy, not borrow else you could run off the whole library to look for the map scrolls and you have a more detailed map, without a cost.
You could buy it, perhaps a bit expensive and it would dissapear as soon as you 'use' it. (you never know, it might be a gift.) When you use it, the map will appear more detailed, aye. Smile Good idea Saven.

Remembered as Just Anubite, Blue of the Gifted

Brother of Justice..

AKA Symbiont..
Lorsaelos
Posts until end: 750

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archosseus wrote:
Lorsaelos wrote:

They surely should at least for books that contain information. Like i said adminstrators (or more trusted volunteers) check the books in order to make sure inappropiate information isn't present..

Though if you mean stories, tales or such you are right.

Actually, I was thinking that perhaps some "not entirely true" information can be thrown into some of these monster books. Perhaps legends and such to scare off players, or descriptions of weaknesses that turn out to be strengths in disguise, or things like that.
Miklotov
Posts until end: 920

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah thats a nice idea having riddles instead of true information
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: