Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Web Design (Layout) Competition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Milktoast
Posts until end: 800

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Since you asked - I can go more in-depth;

The winner of the contest could be admitted as website admin...meaning there isn't much legal problems there...I'd suppose.

If the person leaves, why the hell would the wanna take the work with them? Plus, I doubt the person would want to.

DoD Theirself would have to face up to the fact that a designer needs proper credit - If it's a PHP site, The header could even be "Created and Designed by *name here*" or somthing, as for the part about DoD wanting this to be from the persons heart the agreement can always be:

"I, *name here* , Designer and Creator of *blah* hereby agree that as Creator and Designer of *blah* will be the administrator (or somthing) of *blah*. If I leave, I will not take my work with me and release DoD (or somthing) of all restrictions that was hereby enforced from me being Head web designer. Even though, as head administrator, release DoD of all restrictions that may occur as me being head Administrator unless stated otherwise, in which there must be a vote to enforce the restriction I attempt to place."

and DoD can say

"I, *name here*, understand that the winner of the website layout development contest will hereby until resignation be head website developer and administrator. As lead administrator of DoD, I grant permission to the winner to all credibility and rights to the layout, in full understandment that I have no restrictions as to what I personally can do also."

(add or delete text as necessary...)
What you could do is have the winner and DoD print the copy, sign it, and fax it to 5 other people that are trusted by both partys (DoD and the winner) and those 5 others keep it scanned/saved or somthing on their computer (as witnesses or somthing)

I just typed all of this from the top of my head, there will be small errors or somthing in it so don't get too offensive as to what is being said.
Kalorian
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have someone that is in charge of handling the web-site and its programming the contest was merely to obtain a working layout from the community isntead of the staff itself spending time working on a layout.. art work and coding etc.. taking time off the project.

Every project I have been involved on big and small for the last 4 years has always and I mean always had that rule that with any submissions made by the community to the project, if used by the project team, that all rights go to the project team. Was I community manager on all of those projects? Maybe 10% of them. But should that mater? No.

On a side note Sorcerer, I am not handling the house texture contest thats all on Kinten all the same looking into the community to find creative individuals that may be able to assist in the future.

Its your guys right not to particapate in the event but I am pretty sure that the winners work will become property of DoD regardless of the 'size' of this project. Kinten and thewreck can work out the issues. In regards to it being thought out well, no we didn't think out all the legal parts of it, I just put a stopper in a few of them that I am aware of that could cause problems down the road.

As I said in a past response I am sure the DoD dev team would have no problem allowing you to use your submitted work on resumes and portfolios if need be.

These contests especially the layout competition is for the community as well as the staff. You act as though we are trying to take your layout and go sell it for 100$.

If you don't want to assist the project and are so worried about your rights with the layout then you need not particapate. If you want to assist the DoD Team and the Community then by all means particapate. This is what it comes down to whether you believe it or not.

My appologies in advance if this seems a little 'defensive' or 'hostile' but its 5:15am my time and I need some sleep.
Posts until end: 750

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My concern is what happens with the work submitted that is not declared the winning submission. Does the submitter still get to own that work?

Ideal scenario question: I submit two layouts. Both are now the property of DoD until contest is over or a winner is declared. One of my submissions is the winning submission. Are rights to non-winning submission relinquished to me?
Milktoast

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check

www.dod.westlandrotc.com

updated the layout, it's brighter now
Kalorian
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Milktoast - please reread front rules. Layout is fine but the colors need to be blending with the forums. Thank you for your efforts so far and good luck!

@Lorsaelos - I am not 100% sure clear but I am like 95% sure any layout created for DoD that does not win would be property of the owner. The only thing is if the site was then converted into a fan site or something and would use DoD images it would have to give the DoD image and other content from the DoD site credit at the bottom of the page.

I hope these past few posts have helped clear up what DoD is trying to accomplish and they we are not out to 'get you'.
Posts until end: 750

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalorian: If you could get that confirmed for me, it'd be good to know.

Everyone else: Deep breaths. Don't get so jumpity.
Milktoast

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

3. CHANGED website doesnt have to be compatible with anything. A conceptual image of the website is enough, anyone handy with photoshop or illustrator or whatever can enter with their vision of how the webpage should look like.

What about that part that says "anyone handy with photoshop or illustrator or whatever can enter with their vision of how the webpage shouild look like"?

http://www.dod.westlandrotc.com/layout/dodpic1.gif
http://www.dod.westlandrotc.com/layout/dodpic2.gif

My vision of how it should look like - Either is fine with me; They are both PHP...easy enough to edit or whatever needs to be done

Edit: Both layouts have matching forums.
Milktoast

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dev team should note:
any PHP website has a PHP forum, the same as this forum.

Say a website that was built on PHP has a forum, and the whole website doesn't match any of these forums. You can always transfer db's and it'd all be good. Either that, or transfer forum themes to these forums, and it'd all be good there too.
Manifold
Posts until end: 600

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrr. Bad quality .gifs. Seriously though, isn't there an issue of using someone elses php template?
I raise my glass and say "here's to you".'

The DOD News - http://darianews.talonz.com (Lying Dormant)
maestro
Posts until end: 960

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milktoast:
Quote:
Web site engine code is Copyright © 2003 by PHP-Nuke.

Don't know, but I thought that the dev team wanted something more original. No offence or anything.

Edit: Manifold was quicker than me...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: