Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Passive Fighting Skills (?!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manifold
Posts until end: 600

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Passive Fighting Skills (?!) Reply with quote

Hmmer. Counter-intuitive logic. Well:

In Akarra, there were only four types of 'hit' when fighting. Critical hit, normal hit, glance, and miss. These were performed from one person to the other.. ie. They either hit/miss/crit'd/glanced you. You hitting them didn't really affect them. (Forget mages for now.)

How about introducing some kind of parrying skill. Where your 'turn' is used to block the opponents hit, or partially reduce the damage. This could be improved into a partial counter-attack.

Even further, your attack damage is reduced, for the cost of having the chance of parrying or counter-attacking the opponents blow.

Of course, you would have to parry before being able to counter-attack...

Comments?
I raise my glass and say "here's to you".'

The DOD News - http://darianews.talonz.com (Lying Dormant)
Archosseus
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If DoD would have the same battle system as WiA did, i do not think this would be too good as of the player would stand still and all you can trust on is the bar moving and the text in the chat box.
Otherwise, its a good idea. Seen it in various games and it brings more reality to a game and possibilities.

Mages though, could have it but more in the way of Reflect the energy with his staff or other magical weapons (Like a wand)suitable for a Magic-User if he would carry one. Otherwise he couldn't.
Like this:

Dark Mage attacks Manifold with Fire Ball
Manifold reflects Fire Ball
Manfold counter-attacks with Zap

Of course it doesn't have to be reflection, could also be a dodge but i don't imagine wizards to be good at that since they are supposed to be concentrated.
Also maby with a magical item worn the Magic-User could absorb a part of the damage and force it in to mana.
The fighters have Parry, the magic-users have reflect or absorb.
Also the mana could be taken from the Absorb and sealed temporatly in the staff and unleashed at the counter-attack so less mana is used but also a bit less attack power.

Remembered as Just Anubite, Blue of the Gifted

Brother of Justice..

AKA Symbiont..
Enquillion
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think dodging requires concentration. Wink
Though if you're casting a spell, you can't dodge as well... suppose that's what you meant. ^^

Anyway... in AD&D there are spells such as Spell Trap, Spell Deflection, Spell Turning, Globe of Invulnerability... to name a few.

Spell Trap: Absorbs x spell levels; if the caster is subject to a level 5 spell while under the influence of this spell, he can now cast an additional level 5 spell. Can be easily used with mana.

Spell Deflection: Spell is technically "absorbed", it simply doesn't affect the mage if he's under the influence of this spell. In Pen and Paper it might actually be deflected and hit something else. Works for x spell levels.

Spell Turning: Spells are reflected back to the caster. Works for x spell levels.

Globe of Invulnerability: Spells below level x do not affect the caster. Goes for good spells and bad spells.

These are all 2ED spells and in 3rd there are other variations, such as a spell that absorbs 1 spell of each "kind" (an enchantment, an invocation, etc). It's something to play with. I will return to this topic (not necessarily this thread) when there's a client for us to test. Wink
Lorsaelos
Posts until end: 750

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the logic in having a weaker counterattack after a parry. Sure, not all hits would be the same, but it seems to me if you "critically parry" you should be able to get a better strike in before the opponent can react.

FWIW, I take Taekwondo, so I know it's all about the counterattacks to score better/easier points.

Edit: Anyone who takes any sort of martial art should know all about how counterattacking works. It's not too hard to figure out logically, either--no offense.
Manifold

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, heh. If you take Taekwondo, then the floors mostly yours. I was just suggesting something, then elaborating. My logic was that any parry would weaken your next attack because you would always have less time to react than just watching. Then again, this is rather one sided logic, but I was basing it round the Akarra fight system, and trying to make it fairer.

Arallu
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But parrying your enemy's attack will put him in a state in which he can't defend himself, thus leaving him open for an attack, in which you'll look for a 'weak spot', and, incase you hit him, you should do more damage...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I said one-sided.. Any more developments on my idea, people?

Enquillion
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In NWN (here I go again with AD&D), or rather in 3rd edition rules, there is a parrying skill. It's rather well-done except that you have to put every damn skill point there and learn every damn related feat to get something out of it, but that's beside the point. I would say this is because you can't both attack and parry... either regular combat mode or parrying mode. A-ny-way.

When an attack is made against a character in parry mode, the attack roll is compared to the parrying character's Parry skill. If the Parry skill is higher (or equal?), the attack is parried. If the Parry skill beats the attack roll by 10 or more, a Riposte Attack is made. Which... is just a regular counter-attack.

So in that sense... depending on how leet you are at parrying... you can also get counter-attacks out of it. I mean, parrying isn't just putting your sword in the way of another. Surely a skilled swordsman can both parry a blow and deliver one with the same swing. Or parry so well that the opponent gets out of balance, or whatever. Well, I like the idea of being able to parry, but before I see the combat system in action... no further comments.
Thanquol
Posts until end: 800

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I like the idea of being able to parry, but before I see the combat system in action... no further comments.[/quote]

Same here, but also, to me, parrying just makes things complicated and annoying - especially for a game with such a basic engine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: