Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alignment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Milktoast
Posts until end: 800

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject: Alignment Reply with quote

If you've played AE (Ashen Empires), you would know that alignment plays actually a mildly important role. Bad alignment will cause some guards to attack you, while good alignment will cause some guards (of evil cities) to attack you. Divine alignment brought small discounts at select stores (up to 5%), while bad alignment made the shopowners not let you buy from them.

I think alignment could work pretty well with DoD. You start off neuteral, and with progression your alignment changes depending on the actions. Good alignment can yeild advantages, yet at the same time disadvantages. Advantages could be: Store discounts, Protection from guards, a "Divine Intervention" prehaps that helps you through battles, access to certain weapons. Disadvantages could be: Barred from certain cities, hunted by PKers (Ones that hate the good), and not allowed to use evil-aligned weapons. Being of evil alignment could have a few advantages: Access to the 'evil' towns where PK is allowed, access to the evil weapons, and the disadvantages could be: Not allowed in any town except for the evil ones, not allowed to use stores, hunted by those who are Divine, and so on.

I like the idea, what do you think?
jeb
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, "good" vs "evil" is poor story design in my opinion. Why is a city "evil"? Why are "good" guards attacking "evil" citizens and vice versa? It's silly.

However, as you know we want to have multiple levels of faction relationships, and those can be used to create the same kind of events. For instance, if you have been stealing food in a certain town, that town's guards will attempt to arrest you. Also, if the town is a part of a larger "state faction" you may also be arrested in other towns. The point is that your relationship with these factions is bad, not that you are an "evil person".
This post made by me may not be the official opinion of the Dawn of Daria crew or Oxeye Game Studio. I may also say things that are incorrect or based on hopes and expectations. Viewer discretion is adviced. Oxeye
Kalorian
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the faction relationships better than just plan good and evil. It is an evolving concept in many MMOG's now a days and if you think about there are still good and evil.. just to the factions they are percieved as good or evil.

This faction system would allow players to play a larger role in a factions success or failure in the world and be classified as evil from a rival faction.

Definently digging this idea and looking forward to saying how it is implemented into Daria.

-Kalorian
Nexego
Posts until end: 940

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In quite a few games you decide from the start who you are and what kind of person you are by choosing, "lawful good, lawful neutral" and so on. This is not how it should be like in a RPG in my opinion, your relationship towards others should be worked through your character's life, you decide how you want to act in different situations. Of course when starting out, as an example; you as a human may be hated by nagas just because of you being human. But somehow you should be able to get the nagas' trust.

This is what I like about some of the RPGs', you develop a character's apperance and for your relation towards different factions, it is what you do in-game what matters not what you chose in a menu when creating the character.

Named Nexego in the Silly Alpha and Assassin Lillian in Alpha2.

Hello, darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision
That was planted in my brain
Still remain
Within the sound of silence

http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e227/Nexego/
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v444/Slakt/
Miklotov
Posts until end: 920

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree to Nexego, but it should be in a way you aren't able to satisfy all relation ships towards all factions/races in the end. So if you help Faction A Faction B might hear about and not tolerate you anymore. (for example return an artifact to the faction that was owning it before it got stolen or maybe sold/traded by an gold hungry guy to an enemie faction. Or there are terretorial wars between 2 or more factions and everyone claims to be the owner of that artifact/area/source/... The faction you will return it to will be satisfied maybe get some Heroic status but those you steal it from might be angry, if it is known you where the one returning it.) Would lead to a freely choiceable relationship/alignment system towards all factions depending on who you help or show up with. This could affect items/prices/quality/... you are offered in shops, quests/tasks you are given, help/hints given, access to special factions areas, allround acceptence of the faction towards you, just to name a few. Opens alot of possabilities,...
Nexego
Posts until end: 940

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miklotov wrote:
Agree to Nexego, but it should be in a way you aren't able to satisfy all relation ships towards all factions/races in the end. So if you help Faction A Faction B might hear about and not tolerate you anymore. (for example return an artifact to the faction that was owning it before it got stolen or maybe sold/traded by an gold hungry guy to an enemie faction. Or there are terretorial wars between 2 or more factions and everyone claims to be the owner of that artifact/area/source/... The faction you will return it to will be satisfied maybe get some Heroic status but those you steal it from might be angry, if it is known you where the one returning it.) Would lead to a freely choiceable relationship/alignment system towards all factions depending on who you help or show up with. This could affect items/prices/quality/... you are offered in shops, quests/tasks you are given, help/hints given, access to special factions areas, allround acceptence of the faction towards you, just to name a few. Opens alot of possabilities,...

Agreed, that's what I would love to see.

Named Nexego in the Silly Alpha and Assassin Lillian in Alpha2.

Hello, darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision
That was planted in my brain
Still remain
Within the sound of silence

http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e227/Nexego/
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v444/Slakt/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: