Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monday Dev Update #18

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Development of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeb
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Monday Dev Update #18 Reply with quote

Development during week 36-2006
To our great disappointment, we didn't get the NGP support money. This means that we will not be able to get a common office for the Oxeye members, as we had hoped, which in turn means that development will continue at this "uneven pace". We are working on other ways to amend this, but at the moment it looks grim. (if anyone has any suggestions, we are all ears!)

On the other hand, this setback got me going with some new Daria features, and this week me and thewreck have worked on:
- Server optimizations to support many entities (see below)
- First basic combat system for Silly Alpha 2
- Client GUI for the combat system
- desert sprites!

Planned development during week 37-2006
During this week I will attempt to implement the combat system GUI fullly. I really hate GUI programming... it can take me several ours to create a frame and place the buttons ("just one pixel to the left... nah... that didn't look right... maybe one pixel more... nah, it looked better before..." etc, etc, and so on).

Wiki updates during last week
+10 Wiki edits (233 total)
+1 "legitimate" content pages (24 total)
This week's most valuable contributor: None
View all changes

This week's screenshot

Development screenshot of 1000 cats in action, and the server is able to handle it!
This post made by me may not be the official opinion of the Dawn of Daria crew or Oxeye Game Studio. I may also say things that are incorrect or based on hopes and expectations. Viewer discretion is adviced. Oxeye
Vilinh
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the server compare to Akarras? Wasn't there a time when like 500 annoying bees were summoned at once? Cool though, maybe the next silly alpha will be to kill the most cats xD

Good luck on Daria. May there be no lagg
jeb
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vilinh wrote:
How does the server compare to Akarras? Wasn't there a time when like 500 annoying bees were summoned at once? Cool though, maybe the next silly alpha will be to kill the most cats xD

That's a very good question. Maybe you could ask one of the shards to give it a try, but my guess is that Akarra's server can handle more monsters just because of the collision and path-finding simplifications. I mean... In Akarra monsters only collide with the square they are moving to, and they block the square they are standing in. Also, they are most of the time only moving in a straight line towards their destination. In Daria monsters collide with all other monsters based on their positions and they move according to a path-find algorithm, and both these things makes it more "expensive" to have many monsters at the same place.

Good or bad... Hmm hmm... If you look at the screenshot, you can see that the cats are sitting or walking in positions that are impossible in Akarra. If we made Daria as Akarra, they would be forced to be placed in tidy lines of 16 pixels. Also, notice how close the cats can sit next to each other. The collision system takes heed to the size of the monster, which means large creatures will take up more space than small ones (and maybe not be able to pass through small corridors and stuff).

Anyhow, your question raises a good point, and I'm always thinking of new ways to optimize the algorithms, but please understand that 1000 cats in the same area is a LOT more CPU-expensive than 1000 cats spread out to 10 or more areas.
This post made by me may not be the official opinion of the Dawn of Daria crew or Oxeye Game Studio. I may also say things that are incorrect or based on hopes and expectations. Viewer discretion is adviced. Oxeye
TbbW
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwe spawned abit ower 1k monsters at the same time in akarra.
even doh every dailup user wanted to kill me it worked kinda fine.

but the server whas a dualcpu comp with 10mbit connection.
so it wuld depend on what raw power u got that runs the server Razz

the bandwith grows alot in akarra depending on how many users are online.
and the crappy DirectPlay in akarra makes some of the monsters jump around while some walking smoth due to packetloss.
that is as i understand compleatly replased to an real tcp socket without any third party socket handler in daria Smile

so i'd say 500 npc's in daria preform bether to the naked eye then 500 in akarra Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Development of Daria All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: