Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Extreme Class Idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
God
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Extreme Class Idea Reply with quote

Instead of picking Siman/Therak/Najo/Human, let's say there could be a class called 'Doll'. You wouldn't be able to carry any money, buy/trade weapons or items (You live on drops of monsters you kill, only) You cannot fellowship with other players. And it takes double the experience to levelup each level.

The idea is that you experience the game much harder, but have potential to become much stronger. With a couple special quests to get you some extreme weapons or armor. Some of the extreme limits, such as trading or holding money could be lifted when they reach a high level.

It would be mostly vanity to have a high level Doll, which maybe at level 60, is likely be greater than any regular level 60.

--I think it's a good idea for those who want to be stronger and faster, to have it as an option, but to work much harder for it by starting out slow, and being almost impossible to accomplish anything with until higher levels.

Would this be bad? Or could it be good.
jeb
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once upon a time there was a game called Asheron's Call. In Asheron's Call, you could design your character's starting values from 1 to 100 in a number of different characteristics (Strength, Endurance, Coordination, Quickness, Focus and Self), giving a lot of different opportunities. Depending on which starting values you used, you would develop your character slightly differently.

Then one day, a famous player called "Og the One Eyed" created what they call a "War Mage" based on some unusual starting settings. Instead of trying to balance his characteristics, he made sure that Focus and Self was at 100, and then put most of the remaining points in Endurance (giving a high health factor). This kind of character was very difficult to play with in the early levels, because it was slow, had poor spells (the war mage also based on the idea to NOT specialize in war magic, for more complicated reasons) and could barely hit anything in combat. Actually, the character would be more or less worthless until level 26, and not be effecient until level 40 or so.

However, after level 40, this character would swipe the floor with any other kind of player character (at the same level). Obviously, despite the difficult startup, everybody hated their own characters and wished they had started with a more powerful setup. The only thing they could do was to drop their level XXX (max level is around 127 in AC) character and start over.

My point is: Since this idea is intended for power-players, the power-players will never choose anything that wont put them at the top in the end of the day. Ie, a power-player will never choose anything but the "doll race", leaving the original races for the common folk.

However, we have plans for super-characters, but these will be restricted by some other means. *scary music*
This post made by me may not be the official opinion of the Dawn of Daria crew or Oxeye Game Studio. I may also say things that are incorrect or based on hopes and expectations. Viewer discretion is adviced. Oxeye
thewreck
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i very much agree. I dislikes designs where your entire character's furture is depending on which button you pressed when you created the character. Thats my main stand.
God
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you're right. Balance is really important, and hard to do. Everyone always finds that one configuration though, I wish it was easy to make a rock/paper/scissors-like branch, to which one can be defeated by another, can still be defeated by the other.

How come your 'super characters' don't get cheery or dumb-dumb music, to make them more adorable and less threatening? Are you breeding bullies? Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: