Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So I watched my apartment burn today...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eponick
Posts until end: 800

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: So I watched my apartment burn today... Reply with quote

This morning at about 1:30 AM I was watching TV and the power went out. It wasnt raining so I looked out the window to see what was going on and I saw smoke rolling from the top of my apartment building.

I grabbed my wallet, keys, put on some clothes/shoes, and ran downstairs without even thinking about anything else. I go to the back of the building where the smoke is coming from to see a large ball of fire where the breaker box is and there are some people standing around watching it.
After it started to spread a few of us ran around knocking on everyones door to get everyone out of the building and then the first fire truck came. No one was hurt but we couldnt do anything but stand and watch as all of our stuff was totally destroyed by fire.

A huge croud gathered over a bit of time (Not sure how long it was) and I borrowed someones cell phone to call my parents and had them come up (They live about a mile away). Over the next 4 hours I just stood there with my parents watching my computer desk and walls burn through my window and answered random nosy peoples questions. I couldnt get my car out because of the fire trucks so I had to wait a couple more hours untill one of them moved.

The fire burned for about 13 hours (Didnt stay to watch it all) before they started to tear down the building and get the fire in the walls and such. We got to my parents house and I just stared at the cieling, not really feeling any emotion for some reason. All of my games, systems, my new computer, everything I own except what I left with is now gone. Here it is 10:30 PM and I still dont really feel any emotion.

I went to walmart and got some clothes, toothpaste, etc. and still havnt been to sleep. I dont really feel tired even though I havnt slept since about 7AM yesterday. I still feel like it didnt even happen or it didnt happen to me even though I know it did.

So here I am on my moms computer and I dont really even know why im typing this other than the fact that I am EXTREEMLY bored without any video games. Im guessing I should get a new DS Lite (Now I have a reason ^_^) first as I still have my money (About $500) and I still have a job and everything.

I dont know if/when it will hit me that I have lost everything I own but right now im just kinda dazed. Ive been trying to keep upbeat about it (At least no one was hurt) and have been making jokes about me losing all of my stuff. I also asked some people if they had any marshmallows when we were watching it burn.
This is also probably the longest post I have ever made on any message board.
thewreck
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, this is just like the thing you read in newspapers now and then but you never expect it to happend to anyone you know.

i feel for you over here. everything you own. thats damn hard. It reminds me, even though it is nowhere near of the same magnitude, of the time when my harddrive crashed with all the games i had made for the past 2-3 years on it. All gone. its a strange thing, when you loose something you know you cannot get back. Loosing a pair of boxershorts, or say, an bought game is never really the same thing. When you have created things, as i know you have eponick, and they are lost, there is something else you feel. Its the same feeling you get when you work alot in a program without saving, and then it crashes, only hundreds or thousands times worse.

Then of course there is the part of memories. I'm sure you have had lots of memories bound to either the objects or the very spaces in your apartment. Don't be suprised if you find yourself going through each and every object that burned, thinking of all the things you remember about it. I think thats a natural way of processing it, processing what you lost. You need to create a structure of the things that went away so that you can let it go, cause right now it might feel like everything is gone, but as soon as you begin to structure things in your mind, the things that are gone will separate themselves from the thing that you accually have left; your brain, your experiences and skills.

I think expressing opposite emotions or joking about it is a perfectly natural way of dealing with catastrophe, i know i do, eventough my apartment has never burned. I don't know if you are familiar with the different psycological stages in chock, but im very sure that not feeling anything at all is one of the first ones. Go along with it, give it time.

I think its good that you wrote about it here. You ask yourself why? It's never healthy to deal with things like this alone.

We'll continue to be here.
jeb
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's terrible, Epo Sad But it sounds like you have handled it rather well, considering the situation.

Oh btw, if you need someplace to live, I'm looking for somebody to share my apartment with during the next year Wink
This post made by me may not be the official opinion of the Dawn of Daria crew or Oxeye Game Studio. I may also say things that are incorrect or based on hopes and expectations. Viewer discretion is adviced. Oxeye
Eponick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been looking at it like this:
Some things I cant replace (Photo's, Gifts, Etc.) but at least im alive and able to remember them.
Vilinh
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that does suck. I hope you had insurance. Good luck and I hope you recover.

Good luck on Daria. May there be no lagg
Eponick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I didnt >_<
Lesson learned I guess.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Off-topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: