Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Game Names
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you feel names should be verified so people can't have lames names such as "ikillu"?
Yes
 83%  [ 25 ]
It doesn't matter to me
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
 6%  [ 2 ]
I prefer names to be lame
 10%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 30

Blaed
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Game Names Reply with quote

As I was looking around in some game forums, I noticed how names can ruin a game. Might I suggest we have a name verifier so people can't be running around with names like "uberpwnzer", "ikillu" and other names the likes of those. I don't know if its just me but when you see someone running around with a stupid name, it just ruins the feeling of whatever your playing. Oh and maybe add in that all names are capitalized. Just my feelings though.
Nexego
Posts until end: 940

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Game Names Reply with quote

Blaed wrote:
As I was looking around in some game forums, I noticed how names can ruin a game. Might I suggest we have a name verifier so people can't be running around with names like "uberpwnzer", "ikillu" and other names the likes of those. I don't know if its just me but when you see someone running around with a stupid name, it just ruins the feeling of whatever your playing. Oh and maybe add in that all names are capitalized. Just my feelings though.

You should definately be able to report/have some verifier for lame names. Such lame names will ruin the whole RPG spirit in my opinion.

Named Nexego in the Silly Alpha and Assassin Lillian in Alpha2.

Hello, darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision
That was planted in my brain
Still remain
Within the sound of silence

http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e227/Nexego/
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v444/Slakt/
Vilinh
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think names should be how they are in english. First letter is capitalized, the rest are lowercased. I do agree some names can be so stupid, you just want that person to die and never log on again Twisted Evil but seeing as that probably wont happen, maybe some rules on names are needed.

Good luck on Daria. May there be no lagg
jeb
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, names will be verified in Daria. It will work such as this:

- You create your character
- When you join the game, you will have an "not verified" tag on your name (or some other effect, such as a half-transparent name)
- Admins and moderators will be able to list all names that haven't been verified, and then either accept or reject the name (in which case the Admin himself or herself will choose a new name)
This post made by me may not be the official opinion of the Dawn of Daria crew or Oxeye Game Studio. I may also say things that are incorrect or based on hopes and expectations. Viewer discretion is adviced. Oxeye
Fledge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we allowed to put apostrophes in names?
For example, "Khaile'anar".

Plenty of character names in RPGs and stories have apostrophes and I'm wondering if it's going to be illegal to use them in Daria.
LookinToDie
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having RP-ish names is only good if people actually do RP. Wink IMO it doesn't matter much if you hear "j0o suckz0rz i pwnz0rz j00" from a character named "ikillu" or from "Khaile'anar". In the first case at least you know what to expect;) So, unless the names are really obscene or offensive, they should be allowed.
Xofia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LookinToDie wrote:
Having RP-ish names is only good if people actually do RP. Wink IMO it doesn't matter much if you hear "j0o suckz0rz i pwnz0rz j00" from a character named "ikillu" or from "Khaile'anar". In the first case at least you know what to expect;) So, unless the names are really obscene or offensive, they should be allowed.

... or, you could just leave them unverified and unable to play the game, so you don't ever have to deal with "j0o suckz0rz i pwnz0rz j00."
jeb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fledge wrote:
Are we allowed to put apostrophes in names?
For example, "Khaile'anar".

Plenty of character names in RPGs and stories have apostrophes and I'm wondering if it's going to be illegal to use them in Daria.

Yes, apostrophes and various non-English will be allowed. In other words, "Björn" is a legal name. That's why we need to verify names "by hand", because it's difficult for a automatic parser to detect illegal names such as "Cünt" etc.

Also, about the RPG:ish names discussion: Characters in Daria will have sort-of "real" names. In other words, you will not give your character a nick, but a first and family name instead.
This post made by me may not be the official opinion of the Dawn of Daria crew or Oxeye Game Studio. I may also say things that are incorrect or based on hopes and expectations. Viewer discretion is adviced. Oxeye
Dormeydo
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, much better than i expected Laughing

First and family names are cool. Will both names show in-game? And what name do you type when you whispear to someone?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jeb

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dormeydo wrote:

First and family names are cool. Will both names show in-game? And what name do you type when you whispear to someone?

Hmm... Actually we haven't decided yet Smile The default way will be that you must type the whole name when you /tell somebody, but often that will not be possible or convenient. Either you will have to 1) set a nickname for your character in addition to the character's real name, or 2) set your own "shortcut names" for friends that you want to contact often.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: