Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

an idea about ships

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sum Ting Wong
Posts until end: 850

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: an idea about ships Reply with quote

ok, personally, i really really want to see ships in daria, because i've noticed that most of mmorpg characters have become kinda piratey. anyway, i was thinking about it, and i realized, even if they did implement ships, how would ship to ship combat work? cannons, you may say, but if we have cannons, then we would inevitably have guns, and with the invention of guns, then armor became fairly useless, thus completely ruining our game world(in my opinion anyway)

before i get to the ship suggestion, i have a suggestion about deed organization. instead of say, a deed slot where you get near your horse and equip the deed, have a large section of deed slots, and if you have your horse deed in the deed collection, then you just click on the horse and your on it. this would simplify houses and boats and such, because then you would just have your boat/house deed in the deed section and walk up to it, and voila, your in.

anyway, about ships, here goes:
-use your deed to get aboard your ship

-have a 'duty roster', which would allow you to state the names of players allowed onboard your ship (pillaging is always more fun with some buddies)

-the boat deck would just be visible in the game world, such as when docked at a well, i guess dock, you would be able to see all the fun stuff happening on the deck (also, have a lower deck/cargo hold, should you decide to use your ship for the noble purposes of becoming a renowned merchant, it would allow more stuff on board than just your crews inventory)

-once your aboard your ship and ready to sail, the captain (you) would walk up to the wheel, and your view would switch to a zoomed out view, causing the ship to move into being a 1 square sprite about the same size as a normal character

-meanwhile, everyone on deck sees the deck and surrounding areas

-once you see the unsuspecting victim, the navigator would click the attack thing on them, and the ship would try to sail up to the other ship, and if successfully getting into the square adjacent to it, board.

-once boarded, your ship would be side by side with the other ship (as in just the 2 decks being visible to all of the crew on both sides, except the captains cause they're still navigating)

-the two commence fighting, and whichever side wins gets say, a random 10% of the cargo hold (maybe a pirate bounty at coastal towns, cause why would inland people know about the pirate scene?), and the defeated vessel would return to either the nearest friendly port, along with all the crew, or return to the last visited port, along with the crew (wouldn't want any ships lost at sea)

-also, have different ships have different speeds, but limited numbers of people allowed onboard, and maybe the ability to buy better sails (think, the ladies from peter and the star catchers, and cause the sails to be the degradable items, if thats necessary.

if this is too hard to code, which i, knowing nothing about coding, fear it might be, just say so, i just hoped to add a depth to mmorpgs i've never seen before

Still around the corner they may wait,
A new road or a secret gate;
And though I oft have passed them by,
A day will come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the Moon, East of the Sun
thewreck
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

overall i like it and it is infact something we have talked about, not much different than this.
Vilinh
Posts until end: 900

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the few ideas that actually were cool enough to make me read it all through. I like if. What also would be cool to implement would be for the more people you have and cargo, the slower your ship would go. You could expand this idea and create weather in the sea and a bunch of stuff. This would add ALOT of depth into Daria.

Good luck on Daria. May there be no lagg
Sum Ting Wong

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arr, me piratey urges done good!

:edit:

with the ships decks being visible, you would need rather large port cities to accomadate a couple of ships (im thinkin about like a massive war brig or something of that nature), maybe force some ships to just drop anchor and use a row boat the rest of the way?

Enquillion
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, seems a bit opportunistic? How long does it really take to travel by boat? What are chances that you'd actually get to attack another PC ship?

Some questions to help refine...
Sum Ting Wong

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How long does it really take to travel by boat?

i'd guess it would be a bit like traveling by horse or foot, not *too* fast but not ridiculously slow

Quote:
What are chances that you'd actually get to attack another PC ship?

you could have npc boats roaming around the seas (presenting pirates and such as new mobs, possibly having trade ships sailing about bringing resources to the different port cities), and then the players that want to travel from island to island or travel to a major port city

Dormeydo
Posts until end: 700

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number of ships must be restriced in some way. Everyone can't have a ship of their own. Maybe only one ship per clan/guild and perhaps 2 ships for a verry big clan/guild
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Blaed
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This idea seems to be incredibly cool to me, I was actually thinking about posting a topic on this too.

Quote:
Well, seems a bit opportunistic? How long does it really take to travel by boat? What are chances that you'd actually get to attack another PC ship?

Water mobs could be added in, this would make navigating a ship more difficult, but also more fun. Also it would reduce the chance of seeing nothing while sailing.

Quote:
The number of ships must be restriced in some way. Everyone can't have a ship of their own. Maybe only one ship per clan/guild and perhaps 2 ships for a verry big clan/guild

I think that instead of limiting the number of ships, there should be a minimum number of people required to operate ships of varying sizes. A rowboat could be 1-2 people whereas a warship might require 10-20.

I think this would also add depth to clan wars, and would make a player run economy much easier if we have merchant ships trading all around the world. Rich merchants with fat cargo holds might need protection and could hire players to protect them, also players would get a free ride to wherever the merchant is travelling.

Boats should also have a maximum weight limit as no boats can hold infinite amounts of weight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Inventors of Daria All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: