Dawn of Daria Forum Index Dawn of Daria
Official forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Holy shit, dude.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boddah
Posts until end: 960

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Holy shit, dude. Reply with quote

Quote:
It will still be possible to play for free, but Dawn of Daria will have a system with premium servers that cost money to play on.

Fucking killed it. Killed the whole spirit of Akarra.

---------------------------------
EDIT: TO EXPLAIN

DoD is now damned to be another lame ass money-making game. Now, premium servers that will have better backup, better bandwidth, more updates, etc. Later, fuck the free servers because if you focus on the pay servers, you get MONEY. Hoorah.

When the idea of DoD was first released, everyone was told that it was going to be free, like Akarra. BUT no.

They didn't clear all the places they said it was free in the forum, either. For instance:

Quote:
(Kalorian) especially for the server bandwidth we can afford for this game being free to the community

-taken from the March 5th, 2005 IRC Player/Monster Emotions topic.

Meh. Maybe I am the only n00ber (Lolz) that feels this way, but congrats. You were given the community from a great *free* game, you promised the community yet another great *free* game, and now, you've killed it.

Good luck with your money-making venture, boys.

-Sean (Boddah)

------------------------------
EDIT AGAIN: MORE

Quote:
[20:13] <thewreck> our ambition is to keep the game free. However a server and such isnt free, therefor we have been scetchin on some ways to fund this. (this not including taking money from players)

Quote:
[20:14] <thewreck> So, the game will probably stay free. however, there might pop up some thing around the game, such as a small google banner in the forums, and mayby a shop on the page where we sell stuff

Quote:
[20:18] <thewreck> as long as its free people cant complain

I reserve my right to complain.

thewreck wrote:
we do not want to charge the player.

if however, there is need for money, We will look long and hard for other means of getting it.

we will strive towards keeping it free. It would take alot for us to start asking money from the players.

Manifold wrote:
I wouldn't have thought Khaile would have given them the Engine if they would use it commercially, considering his own ethos on Akarra being free. Then again..

There you go. FLAME AWAY.

Last edited by Boddah on Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:36 am; edited 2 times in total
Eponick
Posts until end: 800

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Holy shit, dude. Reply with quote

Boddah wrote:
Killed the whole spirit of Akarra.

What does DoD have to do with Akarra again?
HeatOmen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that there could have been some better and more successful alternatives, but you're just being a rusty-ass bitching about it like this. First of all, the DoD crew obviously, unquestionably needs a source of income to ensure that it doesn't get wiped off the map like WiA already has.

And might I add that it is THEY who worked their asses off to create the game, not you, or anybody in relation to you? You have no right to be complaining on this subject. Soo.. if you're not either (a) cheap, (b) poor (shouldn't be on the computer in this case), (c) too young to own a credit card, (d) don't know how to send cash via mail, (e) afraid to steal your parent's card card, or (f) too stupid to know what they really meant by what you were complaining about, then what are you?

Edit: All you're doing is making yourself look bad. You're starting to remind me of an employer who decided not to pay their employees after two years of hard labour. Do you expect the dev team to have gone, "Oh my god!!!!111!11 Akara are gon!!1!111 now my old frends hav no place 2 pla............k il work hard for yrs to mak new akara-lik game!1!!11 no profit!1!!11 labour 4 free!1!111 then ill spend my harder earnd cash 2 suport fasht sever!!1!111 lol this is gona bee great!11111111 :DDDD"

Quote:
ยง3. No Bashing of Players in a public manner at all. If you have nothing positive to say about someones comment, find a way to make it neutral.

You did a VERY nice job keeping your rant neutral. >_>

Also, if you leave because of something like that, you're a true.. well.. I won't say it, but you're as sure as a hell not normal.
LOL DERES TIS GAM CALED DoD EVER HERD OF IT B4 CUZ ITS RLLY COL EVN DOUGH ITS NOT DUN YET............. NEWEYS HER IS LINK LOL HAV FUN GO DER ND SINE UP LOL TIS IS OLY PLAC GONA AVERTIS CUZ I HERD TAT PPL HER R SUPOSED 2 BEE INTRESTED!1 =D

http://www.dawnofdaria.com/
Boddah

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

REBUTTAL!

First off, I do not mean this to offend the devs. If you want to get payed, so be it. You should've said it from the start, instead of promising a completely free game.

And now...

Eponick: What does DoD have to do with Akarra? Let's see... The engine... and... Oh yes, the community. And... it is supposed to have the same feel as Akarra. HENCE, look, feel, and community = spirit. Shut the fuck up, dolt.

HeatOmen:
Quote:
the DoD crew obviously, unquestionably needs a source of income to ensure that it doesn't get wiped off the map like WiA already has.

Oh man, you are right, I keep forgetting that Akarra was wiped out simply because of lack of funding! JEEZ, thanks for correcting me, all knowing, all seeing HeatOmen! *Praise*

I refuse to pay for a game that was supposed to be completely free from the start. They changed the formula. DoD will become another stupid, run of the mill p2p game. The game that ran off of community, fun, and originality is gone. Eponick was right: DoD has nothing on WiA.

Quote:
No Bashing of Players in a public manner at all. If you have nothing positive to say about someones comment, find a way to make it neutral.

WOW!! I also didn't realize that my first post was directed towards a specific player! Thanks again! You sure are sharp!

And now, since I gave you the opportunity to n00btalk me, I will do the same for you.

Stfu n000b!1!!!1!! Kdie.

Pwnt. Bitch.

(Now see what you made me do, HeatOmen? I had to 'bash a player in a public manner.' Oh, how AWFUL I feel now. Woe is me.)

Anyone else?
Eponick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, are you done venting your anger?

The reason we will have a pay option is because we will be buying dedicated server for this game when it goes gold and those arent exactly cheap.
That plus the website will take a good chunk of change and we will probably still be paying out of pocket so this is far from a "money-making venture".

Also its not like we will be putting up the free server and letting it run wild to do its own thing and not caring for people there too.
Even if you follow your dark train of logic then thats a bad idea because those people could be paying subscribers someday so we will want to treat them just as good as those who are paying.
catslayer
Posts until end: 920

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess paying in any way is faaar future, but...
however you call this - help server, p2p - we'll face two problems

1. does this very player (randomly points at anyone every X seconds) has to pay for playing? I'm not talking about monthly fees, I'm talking about being forced to play; that sux. Why may it happen? p2p server, p2p analogs for common items that are just better, whatever nice and sweet that you can't use not being pay-player that makes you inferior to payers.
what does NOT force to pay, yet convinces: having cats as pets only being a premium player ^_^ or whatever is nice and sweet BUT doesn't distort the natural balance. "It would be better and funnier if you payed, but you still don't feel like a cretin not paying".

2. how much money devs actually need: just to pay the server rent / to earn some (developing requires creative mood Wink ) / to conquer the world (requires LOTS of money, you know...)

And I personally hate the idea of separated pay/free servers. What if I suddenly wish to start paying? Or ran out of money? Do I have to lose all friends and my char? Not good, is it?
jeb
Posts until end: 500

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game was created as an offspring to the failed Akarra project. Because of that, it also inherited some ideas such as the engine and keeping a free game for the community. Why would thewreck have to look for all those old posts when things change?

The reason the game became a p2p game was because Oxeye offered to help with the development in exchange for a commercial game project. I strongly believe this is good for the game in the long run. Regardless of what you may think, we are not doing this to get rich like the guys at Blizzard, but to create a game that we love and still be able to pay our rent.
This post made by me may not be the official opinion of the Dawn of Daria crew or Oxeye Game Studio. I may also say things that are incorrect or based on hopes and expectations. Viewer discretion is adviced. Oxeye
Zigmat
Posts until end: 1000

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda killed it for me too.. The idea that some players will have advantages just because they can afford real life cash is always a passion killer in any game...
thewreck
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zigmat: there will be no 'advatages' to paying players well inside the game. By that i mean, they wouldnt recieve extra special items, or be able to do extra special things..

on a more general note:

Eventhough the same engine was used at first, when Oxeye came along everything, and i mean EVERYTHING was remade from scratch. Graphics, coding, sounds, you name it. The result is what we always wanted, a new original game, that like any other games, might or might not take inspiration from akarra.

also, i think its too bad that you have to use such strong words against our developers (eponick for example). This obviously means that you are disstaisfied with us, and thats bad, cause without players, there is no game. Therefor, please let me explain the timeline:

X. Development of dawn of daria is announced. Back then everything was based on the akarra engine and the strive and goal was to make it just that, a free game just like akarra was, but in no other sense did we promise it would be like akarra.

X. Development strived forward, but eventually with a number of programmer disappearances and a number of other events, development staggered.

X. during the summer, oxeye offered to help out (4 coders + 2 graphics dudes), but under the requirement that it would become a commercial game (something you can fund your living making).

X. Dawn of daria accepted and everything was remade from scratch,

X. test release of new client server and stuff. (silly alpha)

Now, i know we have been not the best at providing information to the community. This anger has been quite an eye opener in that matter, one that i hope will change the information situation.

thats it for now, if there are more questionmarks, please ask and give us a change to straighten them out.
Thanquol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH I wouldn't pay for DoD, especially as I already pay for WoW.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn of Daria Forum Index -> Gossip All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: